Raising and dressing the torah
- Unroll scroll to show a few columns
- Hold the two handles of the Torah and gently pull it toward you so that the bottom of the scroll extends slightly off the lectern
- Bend your knees slightly and push downward on the handles. This will lever the Torah upward.
- Raise the Torah and turn around to show it to the congregation (for about ten seconds)
- Carry the Torah to the side seats (the gabbai will direct you), sit down (bring your arms down) and have your assistant dress Torah
Note: At certain times of the year, one of the scrolls may be significantly larger than the other. Take a look before lifting so that you can compensate for the heavier side.
The following videos demonstrate the process